Jet skis and personal watercrafts (PWCs) are the epitome of aquatic fun. But like any valuable equipment, they require proper care and storage. Dry docking is a crucial aspect of PWC maintenance, ensuring longevity and performance. In this blog, we'll explore three practical dry docking options, including the innovative solution from Tommy Docks, to help you choose the best for your jet ski.
Why Dry Storing Your PWC is Optimal
Before diving into the options, let's understand why dry storing is essential:
- Prevents Hull Damage: Continuous water exposure can damage the hull, affecting your PWC's integrity and performance.
- Reduces Corrosion and Wear: Freshwater or saltwater, both can corrode metal parts and degrade seals and gaskets over time.
- Discourages Algal and Barnacle Growth: Dry storage keeps the hull clean and free from marine organisms.
- Enhances Security: On-land storage is less prone to theft or vandalism.
- Saves on Maintenance Costs: A well-maintained PWC stored dry will have lower repair and upkeep costs.
1. The Innovative PWC Ramp from Tommy Docks
Tommy Docks' PWC ramp is a standout solution for jet ski enthusiasts seeking a simple and efficient dry docking option. This prefab dock accessory is designed for ease of use, with wheels that allow you to effortlessly roll your jet ski up from the water onto the ramp. Its durable construction ensures it can withstand repeated use and harsh weather conditions, making it a reliable choice.
Additionally, the ramp's design is space-efficient, occupying minimal shoreline space. This versatility makes it suitable for a wide range of PWC models and sizes, offering a convenient and practical solution for dry storage.
2. Floating Jet Ski Docks
Floating docks are a popular choice for PWC owners, offering a blend of convenience and protection. They are easy to install and can be reconfigured to suit your specific needs.
These docks are particularly beneficial in areas with fluctuating water levels, as they adapt seamlessly to changes. The design is also gentle on your PWC’s hull, minimizing potential damage. Floating docks provide a stable platform for your jet ski, keeping it dry and ready for your next adventure.
The drawback of getting a floating PWC dock would be that the initial investment would be dramatic compared to a simple shoreline ramp. Of course, you also need more space to install it off your existing dock. If you don't already have a dock, this isn't really an option.
3. Jet Ski Lifts
Jet ski lifts are an excellent option for those seeking a more permanent and secure solution. These mechanical systems elevate your PWC above the waterline, effectively reducing wear and tear from wave action.
They are particularly suitable in areas with strong currents or tides, offering high-level protection for your watercraft. Additionally, jet ski lifts provide a stable and secure platform for performing maintenance tasks, making them a practical choice for PWC owners who prioritize the longevity and upkeep of their watercraft.
The downsides to lifts are that they can be considerably more expensive and difficult to install. They also take a bit longer to actually lift your PWC up into the air than, say, a simple shoreline ramp.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Dry Dock Solution
- Water Conditions: Calm waters suit different setups compared to rough, tidal areas.
- Space and Accessibility: Assess the space available and how easily you can access your PWC.
- Budget: Options vary in cost, so align your choice with your budget.
- Maintenance Requirements: Each option has different upkeep needs.
Storing Your PWC Safely With Tommy Docks
Selecting the right dry dock solution for your jet ski or PWC is crucial for its longevity and performance. Whether it's the ease of Tommy Docks' PWC ramp, the adaptability of floating docks, or the robustness of jet ski lifts, each option offers unique benefits. By considering factors like water conditions, space, budget, and maintenance, you can make an informed decision that suits your needs and ensures many more years of enjoyable and safe jet skiing.
Remember, investing in the right dry storage solution is not just about convenience; it's about protecting your passion for the water.